The Electricity Company of Ghana is a limited liability company wholly owned the Government of Ghana. The Company was incorporated under the Companies Code, 1963 in February 1997. It began as the Electricity Department on 1st April 1947 and later became the Electricity Division in 1962. It was subsequently converted into Electricity Division in 1962. It was subsequently converted into Electricity Corporation of Ghana by NLC Decree 125 in 1967. In July 1987, the Volta River Authority set up the Northern Electricity Department (NED), which took over from ECG the responsibility of the management of electric power distribution in Brong-Ahafo, Northern, Upper East and Upper West Regions. The Company is therefore responsible for the distribution of electricity in nine (9) Operational Regions in the southern part of Ghana namely, Accra East, Accra West, Tema, Eastern, Central, Volta, Western, Ashanti and Sub-Transmission, which are further decentralized into eighty eight (88) operational districts.